SIXTY-SIX THINGS THE PENTECOSTAL CAN'T FIND IN THE WORD OF GOD
By MATTHEW L. MAHAN. Pastor BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH of Colson HC 85 - Box 1057 Whitesburg, KY 41858
FIND THE BOOK, CHAPTER AND VERSE IN THE BIBLE THAT TEACH:
1. God commands or desires that people speak in UNKNOWN tongues.
2. There are UNKNOWN tongues spoken in Acts, Chapter 2 (Acts 2:8).
3. Paul's desire was that all would speak in UNKNOWN tongues (I Cor. 14:5).
4. Paul thanked God that he spoke with UNKNOWN tongues more than all others IN THE CHURCH (I Cor. 14:18-19).
5. Women should speak in tongues in the church assembly (I Cor. 14:34-35).
6. Angels spoke in unknown tongues.
7. Everyone should seek for the gift of tongues, rather than letting the Holy Spirit give utterance at a Point of time "dividing to every man severally as HE will" (1 Cor. 12:11).
8. Speaking in tongues is the "baptism in the Holy Ghost".
9. The expression "baptism IN the Holy Ghost" occurs in the Scriptures.
10. All Christians are commanded by God to speak in tongues (I Cor. 12:30).
11. Unknown tongues are needed in an assembly where everyone speaks the same language.
12. The purpose of speaking with tongues to edify ourselves (Acts 2:4-11).
13. God commanded or desired that a man pray with an unknown tongue, although his understanding is unfruitful.
14. The baptism of I Cor. 12:13 includes speaking in tongues.
15. The object of tongues is any person other than an unbelieving Jew who needs a sign, or one that underwent a previous Jewish baptism by John the Baptist (Isa. 28:11; Acts 2:5-11, 10:45-47,19:1-8; 1 Cor. 1:22).
16. A man cannot be deceived when he speaks with tongues (2 Thess. 2:3),
17. The human spirit cannot be defiled (2 Cor. 7:1).
18. A man who is saved and has received the gift of the Holy Spirit cannot let doctrines of devils and deceiving spirits gain access to his mind, thereby giving place to the devil (I Tim. 4:1; Eph. 4:27).
19. The body is redeemed already, and has no law of sin in its members (Rom. 7:23-25; 8:23; Phil. 3:21).
20. A man cannot be devil possessed after he is saved.
21. We are not to forbid the speaking with UNKNOWN tongues in church (I Cor 14: 39).
22. We need to Practice our tongue gift daily in order to develop it, and to avoid losing it.
23. We are to seek the gift of tongues, rather than the gift of prophecy, in the church (I Cor. 14:5, 39).
24. God doesn't mind people adding to His finished revelation (the Bible) if it is in the form of tongues, interpretation of tongues, or prophesy (Prov. 30:5-6; I Cor. 14:36; 2 Tim. 4:1-4; Rev. 22:18-19).
25. Speaking five words with an unknown tongue is more profitable than speaking ten thousand words with understanding (I Cor. 14:19).
26. The gift of tongues is manifested by a babbling that no one present can understand, including the speaker (I Cor. 14:8-9).
27. A person who prays in an UNKNOWN tongue in the church assembly does not understand it himself.
28. The Holy Spirit's intercessory groanings can be uttered (Rom. 8:26)
29. More than one person at the same time may speak or pray in tongues in the church assembly (I Cor. 14:27).
30. Tongues are a sign to believers (I Cor. 14:22).
31. Unknown tongues are for the believer (I Cor. 14:22).
32. God commands or desires us to sing in unknown tongues.
33. Tongues were not to cease in and of themselves (I Cor. 13:8).
34. More than one in the church assembly is to interpret (I Cor. 14:27).
35. Tongues are not actual languages (Acts 2:6; Isa. 28:11).
36. The fullness of the Holy Spirit is manifested by the speaking with tongues.
37. Jesus spoke or prayed in tongues.
38. You shall receive power after the Holy Ghost is come upon you, not to be witnesses unto the Lord Jesus Christ, but to babble in an unknown language (Acts 1:8).
39. The "new tongues" that Jesus foretold His disciples would speak with were unknown tongues (Mark 16:17; Acts 2:4-6).
40. Jesus was not serious when he said that His disciples, in addition to speaking in new tongues would be able to take up serpents or to drink any poison without it harming them (Mark 16:17;18) . And so, everyone who claims the ability to speak with tongues should also be required to "drink any deadly thing."
41. The word "shall" in Mark 16:17-18 means "sometimes" or "in the process of time, shall. . ."
42. Others, in addition to the twelve apostles, spoke with tongues in Acts chapter 2 (Acts 1:24 - 2:1).
43. Tongues are to be a sign to Gentiles and to the Church (Acts 2:5- 11; Isa. 28:11).
44. We are not to "try the spirits whether they are of God", opposing any that are false (including tongues) as presumptuous against God Almighty (I John 4:1-3).
45. The devil cannot do miracles (Ex. 7:11; Dan. 11:23; 2 Thess. 2:7- 10; Rev. 13:4;
46. The Holy Spirit can manifest Himself contrary to the written revelation of the Scriptures (I Cor. 14:33) as long as the manifestation is supernatural (like tongues).
47. Besides the Old Testament saints and the original disciples, any person can receive the Holy Spirit more than once (I Cor. 12:13; Rom. 8:9; Eph. 1:13-14; 5:18).
48. A man who has received the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9) is not receiving "another spirit" if he receives any additional spirit after his salvation (2 Cor. 11:4).
49. The prophecy about the Holy Spirit being poured out on ALL flesh has been fulfilled Joe12:27-32).
50. There are Gentiles in Acts chapter 2 who aren't proselytes (Acts 2:5-10).
51. Tongues in Acts chapter 2 were anything other than a clear declaration of "the wonderful works of God" (Acts 2:11).
52. Tongues protect us from the devil (Eph. 6:10-20)
53. Satan is not anointed, and all that is anointed is good (Ezek. 28:14).
54. Judas didn't have the signs of an apostle and wasn't "a devil" (Matt. 10:1-8; John 6:70).
55. Satan doesn't have false prophets, false apostles, and deceitful workers that transform themselves into "angels of light" and "apostles of Christ" (2 Cor. 12:13-35).
56. All that is spiritual is good, and we should open ourselves up to it (1 John
57. Experience is to be taken as a higher authority from God than the written revelation of Scripture (Isa. 8:20).
58. The Holy Spirit cannot be grieved, quenched, or lied to (1 Thess. 5:19; Eph. 4:30; Acts 5:3).
59. Forbidding to speak with tongues is blaspheming the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:29-30).
60. Paul, or anyone else in Scripture, preached a "full gospel" (I Cor. 15:1-4).
61. We, rather than the Holy Spirit, decide what spiritual gifts we get, or transfer them to others by the laying on of hands ( 1 Cor. 14:11).
62. Pentecost is an experience, rather than a Jewish Feast (Exod. 23:16; Acts 2:1; 20:16).
63. Jesus and His disciples sent people to doctors or erected hospitals after unsuccessful healing attempts (Matt. 10:1; Acts 5:16).
64. The tower of Babel was a good experience (Gen. 11:1-9).
65. Unknown tongues edify the church (1Cor. 14;4, 18, 19, 23).
66. CHARITY DOES NOT REJOICE IN TRUTH (I Cor. 13:6).
If: anyone can find the book, chapter and verse or verses in the Bible that teach any of the above statements please do not hesitate to call Pastor Mahan at (606) 633-3047, or write to him at HC 85, Box 1057, Whitesburg, KY 41858-9607.
Please make any appeals using the King James Bible and in the context in which the verse appears. Our sincere prayer is for you to seek God's teachings
The Flaming Torch Vol. 36 Nu. 3 Spring 1995